The local restaurants range from firstly a luxury resort style affair, to a family feel cafe style, through to the local warong’s which are basic and affordable. Remember this is not a tourist area of Bali and thankfully it is nothing like the tourist madness of Senur, Kuta, Legian, Seminyak, and Ubud. That said there are some excellent local warong’s. You can either follow directions from the maps provided below – any of which will give you a great overview of the Medewi eating establisments – or alternately Yani is only to happy to drive you to some of the hidden gems of Medewi cuisine including:
How to use the Pizza Oven? Simple = Call Yani: 0813 53263220. Medewi Manor has a poolside traditional Italian pizza oven fully insulated with rammed earth. The design of the oven has been copied from the traditional ovens uncovered by archaeologists in Pompey after the eruption of Mt Vesuvius which preserved them for later generations to copy and enjoy. For a small fee $10 AUD (Rp 100,000), Yani will find the wood and light the oven up for you as well. If the weather is good he can also set up the pool side big screen projector. We have a large selection of movies and live concerts of various artists, however, you can always bring your own.
From your home country or from the Supermarkets near the airport (Kuta or Seminyak) you need to stock up on: salami, ham, anchovies, mozzarella cheese, tomato paste, fresh yeast, capsicum, onions, pineapple, olives and olive oil and anything else you like on your pizza. You can buy capsicums, onions and pineapple locally. Ask Yani to buy you some.
You can bring these items into the country. Just store the items in a freezer bag and declare them at the airport. The flour is easily accessible in our local area and is good enough to make great pizza dough but if you are a pizza fanatic bring your own 001 flour. When you buy the flour at the local store – Tepung – choose the whiter flour in the packet with pictures of cakes and biscuits.
Make sure you put plenty of flour underneath your dough to stop it sticking to the granite bench top and the stainless steel pizza shovels.
Firing the Oven
Yani is only too happy to fire the oven and cook the pizza for you. He is now a veteran of many pizza nights. You may want to also bake some bread.
Relax and Enjoy
The pizza is cooked in a matter of minutes and depending on your preparation is one of the most enjoyable poolside meals in Medewi.
Pizza Dough Recipe
5 cups of local flour: Tepung.
One packet of fresh yeast.
One and a half cups of water (Total).
6 desert spoons of olive oil. Better bring some olive oil in case we have run out.
Pinch of salt and a pinch of sugar.
Directions for making Pizza dough:
1. Add one packet of yeast (1 x silver satchel), a pinch of salt and pinch of sugar to a half a cup of warm water. Stir well, place to one side and wait until the yeast explodes into life.
2. Rub 5 cups of flour through the strainer (found hanging above the oven) into the large green plastic bowl (found in the cupboard to the right of the sink).
3. When the yeast has risen to the top of the cup make a swimming pool in the middle of the flour in the bowl and pour in the half cup of water with the activated yeast, then add one cup of water (so the total is one and a half cups of water including
the water with the yeast in it) then add 6 x desert spoons of good quality Virgin Olive Oil.
4. Mix with spoon until the liquid is gone then put the contents of the bowl on the granite counter top (sprinkled with flour) and start kneading.
5. Knead for approximately 3 minutes and make into a large ball. Place the ball of kneaded flour into a silver bowl and let it sit for approximately 45 – 60 minutes until the dough rises.
6. Re knead the risen dough one more time and cut the dough into 4 pieces then roll them into small balls.
7. Presto you now have 4 x medium pizza dough balls.
You can cheat and roll the dough out using the roller (thin and crispy) or act like and Italian master and bash pull and shape up your pizza base by hand.
Make sure you put plenty of flour underneath your dough to stop it sticking to the granite bench top and the stainless steel pizza shovels. If you do not the pizza will not slide off the stainless steel shovel when you try and put it in the oven. When you try to get your ready to cook pizza on the floured up shovel, start from one side to free up that side then scoop it up from the other side.
Easy Pizza sauce
Fry chopped onions and garlic in plenty of olive oil in a pot then add one small can of tomato paste, a medium jug of water, Italian herbs and spice mix, a heaped desert spoon of dark brown sugar – bring that from your home country – or use local palm sugar, a desert spoon of honey then stir and simmer until ready. Best of luck making your pizza. If your pizza gets stuck on the granite counter and you cannot scoop it onto your pizza shovel get Yani to assist.
Enjoy a night to relax with friends around the pool with pizza, beer and conversation.
The wood fired oven is capable of cooking a pizza and or baking a small loaf in 3 mins.
Food and a few drinks with friends around the pool is a great way to relax.
A great place to share the stories of either the day or your trip.
Next door, from Brown Sugar is the closest place that you can buy beer.
By night with a few lights on sets up the atmosphere beautifully.