How to use the Pizza Oven? Simple = Call Yani: +62 813 5326 3220. Medewi Manor has a poolside traditional Italian pizza oven fully insulated with rammed earth. The design of the oven has been copied from the traditional ovens uncovered by archaeologists in Pompey after the eruption of Mt Vesuvius which preserved them for later generations to copy and enjoy. For a small fee of $10 AUD (100,000Rp), Yani will find the wood and light the oven up for you as well. If the weather is good he can also set up the pool side big screen projector. We have a large selection of movies and live shows from various artists but of course you’re welcome to bring your own.
From the supermarkets near the airport (Kuta or Seminyak) or from your home country or you’ll need to stock up on: salami, ham, anchovies, mozzarella cheese, tomato paste, fresh yeast, capsicum, onions, pineapple, olives and olive oil and anything else you may desire on your pizza. You can buy capsicums onions and pineapple locally. Ask Yani to buy you some.
You can bring these items into the country. Just store the items in a freezer bag and declare them at the airport. The flour is easily accessible in our local area and is good enough to make great pizza dough but if you are a pizza fanatic bring your own 001 pizza flour. When you buy the flour at the local store choose the whiter flour branded with pictures of cakes and biscuits called Tepung.
Make sure you put plenty of flour underneath your dough to stop it sticking to the granite bench top and the stainless steel pizza shovels.
Yani is only too happy to fire the oven and cook the pizza for you. He is now a veteran of many pizza nights. You may want to also bake some bread.
The pizza is cooked in 2-3 minutes and depending on your preparation is one of the most flavorsome, enjoyable poolside meals in Medewi.
Take a pot from the cupboard directly above the stove and fry chopped onions and garlic in plenty of olive oil. Add one small can of tomato paste, a medium jug of water, Italian herbs and spice mix, a heaped desert spoon of dark brown sugar – bring that from your home country – or a local palm sugar and a desert spoon of honey. Stir and simmer until ready. That’s it, a culinary delight, best of luck making your pizza.
5 cups of local flour: Tepung.
One packet of fresh yeast.
One and a half cups of water (Total).
6 desert spoons of Olive Oil. It’s better bring some olive oil in case we’ve run out.
Pinch of salt and a pinch of sugar.
Directions for making Pizza dough:
1. Add one packet of yeast (1 x silver satchel), a pinch of salt and pinch of sugar to a half a cup of warm water. Stir well, place to one side and wait until the yeast explodes into life.
2. Rub 5 cups of flour through the strainer (found hanging above the oven) into the large green plastic bowl (found in the cupboard to the right of the sink).
3. When the yeast has risen to the top of the cup make a hole in the middle of the flour in the bowl and pour in the half cup of water with the activated yeast. Then add one cup of water (so total is one and a half cups of water including the water with the yeast in it) and finally, add 6 x desert spoons of good quality virgin olive oil.
4. Mix with spoon until the liquid is gone then put the contents of the bowl on the granite counter top (sprinkled with flour) and start kneading.
5. Knead for approximately 3 minutes and make into a large ball. Place the ball of kneaded flour into a silver bowl and let it sit for approximately 45 – 60 minutes until the dough rises.
6. Re-knead the risen dough one more time and cut the dough into 4 pieces and roll them into small balls.
7. Presto you should now have 4 x medium pizza dough balls.
You can cheat and roll the dough balls out using the roller (thin and crispy) or gradually shape up your pizza base by hand.
Make sure you put plenty of flour underneath your dough to stop it sticking to the granite bench top and the stainless steel pizza shovels. If you do not the pizza will not slide off the stainless steel pizza shovel when you try to place it in the oven. When scooping your ready made pizza from the bench, start from one side then move to the other before scooping it onto the shovel. Yani of course is very profient in scooping your finished pizza off the bench and conveying it to the oven.
Enjoy a night to relax with friends around the pool with pizza, beer and conversation.
The wood fired oven is capable of cooking a pizza and or baking a small loaf in 3 mins.
Food and a few drinks with friends around the pool is a great way to relax.
A great place to share the stories of either the day or your trip.
The closest place you can buy beer from is Brown Sugar just out front.
By night with a few lights on, sets up the atmosphere beautifully.
© Medewi Manor Surfers Heaven